Saturday, November 6, 2010

The hunt approaches

I am in the final days before my first hunt. There is certainly the possibility that this will also be my last hunt, because I am open to the possibility that the whole experience of killing a large animal and then gutting and preparing its carcass to be eaten will be more than I want to repeat. This is something I will be discovering.

These last few days are feeling increasingly intense, as I do more physically and mentally demanding practice. The whole thing feels a bit spiritual to me, actually.
  • I have a teacher with new and exotic (to me) beliefs.
  • Along the way, I have encountered adherents of these beliefs, as well as various splinter groups.
  • I will have a special guide for the hunt who is different from my teacher. That is, I am being passed on to a superior expert for the culminating event.
  • I have had to pass arduous tests: physical, mental and moral.
  • I have made journeys: to pass tests, to engage in learning, and to experience the culminating event.
  • If I am successful, I will be working very closely with blood (and guts).
  • I will be taking in the flesh of the vanquished.
  • I will be wearing special garments that I have prepared with special washing.
  • I will wash myself with special care and special materials before the event.
  • Knowledge of my own limits will be revealed to me as a result of the event.
From 100 yards away
Not to put too fine a point on it, I expect this is going to affect me in a big way.

My shooting is good enough now to pull down a pig, and I can get into a kneeling, shooting position from walking around in just seconds. I'm as ready as I can be.

I just have a few things left to do, including baking some cookies for my coach and me. Doesn't that sound funny?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner