Friday, May 14, 2010

Fast means slow

As I write this week's post, I am fasting. And I'd like to say for the record that this practice really needs a makeover. The new name: Slowing.

My argument is based on my experience that time seems to have slowed down considerably since I did not have breakfast this morning.

It's a long slog until I go to bed tonight. I know it's just one day, goddammit, but it's one loooooong day!

While I am on this topic, I recently read Eat Your Dreams, in the monthly magazine The Sun. The author, a man named Sparrow, writes about going to sleep hungry and dreaming (repeatedly) about food and eating. He makes this into a new form of dieting, by dream-eating and waking up fulfilled. Sparrow fasts on a weekly basis, and also twice a month, according to the lunar calendar. He says, "When I fast, I am more likely to eat in my subsequent dream."  No kidding.

Now, The Sun is, overall, a particularly worthy publication, ad free, and on point in its mission to "evoke the the splendor and heartache of being human." We can only hope that this particular message stays off the radar of developing girls and boys, vulnerable as they are to the siren call of anorexia.

Just so you know, I am not making a regular habit of this fasting/slowing business. I only do it when my doctor makes me! Here's why I'm doing it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner