Saturday, April 24, 2010

The Old West Gun Room

I've just returned from my (first) visit to the Old West Gun Room just on the border into El Cerrito, CA.

I've eyed this place for years, wishing they sold something I wanted to buy, just so I had a reason to go in. I mean--look how cute it is!

Well...the day had dawned. As I explained in a earlier posts, I'm learning to shoot a rifle so I can hunt wild boar. After practicing at the range in Milpitis, I've been thinking that I'd probably benefit from having a coach or trainer, both for learning how to shoot and  how to hunt boar. In addition, no shooting ranges closer than Milpitis will rent a rifle, meaning that sooner or later I'm going to need my own gun.

So, off I went to the Gun Room. I was nervous. Who would be there? A bunch of NRA types? Who are these NRA types, anyway? To calm the butterflies, I decided to make things simple and just ask for advice.

When I walked in, there were two men at the counter talking to the owner, Bob Weaver. I recognized him from his photo on the website. Bob and the other two guys looked like regular people. If you saw them in the grocery store, you would not be able to distinguish them from anybody else--you would not know that these guys were gun owners, or, and the website says, "firearm enthusiasts."

While they completed their conversation, I walked around the store. Aesthetically, the Old Gun Room is to Target Master West, where I'd practiced shooting, like a locally owned boutique is to a fast food franchise.

Once I had Bob to myself, he was extremely helpful. I explained my interest in boar hunting and my lack of experience. He gave me the card for a woman who is a firearms instructor and also provides wild board guide services. I also asked him about rifles--the type I would need and the cost range. He rattled off a baffling list of numbers, and I asked to see some examples, because I really didn't know what he was talking about.

He showed me three rifles and told me that "any basic deer hunting rifle will work fine for boar." The budget for this kind of thing is $400 to $500. Then, in a good salesmanship move, he added, "you know, every boy and girl should have a 22." That was the kind of rifle I shot down in Milpitas, the one that felt like a bb gun.

I think I can live without a 22. But, I did tell him I'd be back. My next step is to contact Denise King, the woman who may become my coach.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know about over your way but rifles which will kill a boar are cheaper than 4 to 5 hundred dollars in Louisiana. I guess it really depends on if you are buying new or used, also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks David. Yes, I am sure pretty much everything is more expensive here in the SF Bay Area than it is in Louisiana. Bob was showing me new guns, too, as you suspected. When I go back, I can ask to look at used guns, which he also carries. Good idea.

    ReplyDelete

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner