Friday, March 26, 2010

Travel notes

Next Tuesday, I'll be flying to New York to visit Nathan until Sunday, so I won't be posting next weekend. This is the first time in a very long time that I will be going on vacation on my own, and I'm excited about it. Iris has had a couple of trips to New York (related to work) since we last saw Nathan together in October, and she has been able to add in some time with him both times. So I've been feeling a mighty pull to see him myself.

He's had his spring break and so is on the downward slope toward end-of-term, meaning he is a busier-than-usual graduate student. Hence, I'm lining up some plans for things I want to see and do on my own. It's not hard in a place like New York.

In a funny kind of way, New York has been brought down to size for me now that it is the city where Nathan lives. This happened to Los Angeles a few years ago. We had previously thought of LA as a vaguely evil, hulking monolith in the Southland. Having Nathan down at UCLA meant that we spent a number of long weekends there, coming to appreciate quite a few aspects of the City of Angels, including learning that its downtown actually has a history!

But, back to my New York plans: on this trip, I am going to indulge my love of history. This is partly because I am meeting up with our dear friend Lisa, who is an historian teaching at UNC-Wilmington. Here are some of the places I hope to see:
  • Tammany Hall, on Union Square, the last home of the New York's famed Democratic political machine. It's now the site of the New York Film Academy. The most famous boss was William M. Tweed, seen here in a well-known political cartoon by Thomas Nast from the late 1860's.

  • The Asch Building, former site of the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory. On 3/25/1911, a fire claimed the lives of 146 young sweatshop workers, many of whom jumped from the windows of the upper floors where the doors were locked, preventing them from exiting.

    In this photo, firemen are searching for bodies of victims on the sidewalk around the building.
    Following the fire, the outrage and protests were so widespread, long-needed reforms, including new health, safety and sanitation standards, were finally enacted and enforced.

    The Asch Building today is known as the Brown Building and is used for classrooms by New York University.

  • The Tenement Museum--a Lower East Side apartment building that has been turned into a museum of the daily lives of people living in tenements. Nathan, Lisa and I have tickets for three of the tours: "Getting By," "Piecing It Together" and "The Moores."

  • New York University's Tamiment Library & Robert F. Wagner Labor Archives. On Friday next week, I'm going to be having lunch with a colleague who works at NYU, and afterwards, I thought I would take a look at her library's special collections. One of the gems is the Abraham Lincoln Brigade Archives.
It ought to be a fascinating backdrop to my conversations with a young man learning the profession of city planning. One other spot I know I will want to see is the park in Brooklyn where Nathan is doing his internship. This is along the waterfront on what is essentially reclaimed land, using recycled materials. He says the views of Manhattan alone are worth the trip over the bridge, but I know I'll want the full tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner