Friday, January 22, 2010

The Flesh Crayon Lives!

You may be aware of a strange thing that happened about a week and a half ago: all over Facebook, women were posting the color of their bras. Apparently, this had something to do with breast cancer awareness, but honestly, it looked like a virtual underwear party of some kind.

But what jumped out at me was one of my Facebook friends posting simply, "Nude." And, by that, she meant a color, the one that approximately matches her skin. Suddenly it hit me: Nude lingerie is the new Flesh Crayon!

All this time, we've white folks have been wearing nude pantyhose, nude bras, and nude panties, all the while eschewing the use of crayons labelled "flesh"!

Friends, the Flesh Crayon was renamed "Peach" nearly 50 years ago "partially as a result of the U.S. Civil Rights movement," according to the Crayola Crayon Color History, available from Crayola. How is it that we've managed so completely to ignore the same principle as applied to our undergarments?

I don't know, but I'm done with it. I'm not going to buy any more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner