Saturday, December 19, 2009

Some thoughts on Christmas trees

I really like having a (formerly) live Christmas tree. We're going out to get ours later today. It's the 19th of December, and so it's a little later that usual for us. We've waited so that our graduate student son, Nathan, could join us in this activity.

Anyway, as I said, I like having a real tree: the smell of the pine, the feel of the needles, even the slight mess on the floor. Yes, even the chore of it. This year, though, I did stop to wonder if this desire of mine came with an unjustifiable footprint price tag. After all, this is basically cutting down trees. Aren't I supposed to be all about planting trees?

And this week in the NY Times, I read an odd story about a Southern California nurseryman who will rent you a potted live tree for about the same price I'll be paying for my cut tree. You can even ask him to tag it so you get the same tree next year. This is because, between holiday seasons, these potted trees live in a parking lot, essentially. I'm hearing, "They took all the trees and put 'em in a tree museum."

My solution for this year came when I read from my favorite tree provider, Delancey Street, "Delancey Street Trees are certified sustainably farmed. Our trees are good for the environment. Sustainable practices promote the best care of land, water, air and nature. Renewable recyclable crops are the key to the future. A new tree is planted for every tree cut. Sites are selected with organic content and best practices of soil and water conservation, proper nutrition, wetland management, IPM, and biodiversity. After the holidays, please leaver your tree curbside without lights or stands and Sunset or Golden Gate with pick up for free and recycle."

It's hard to argue with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner